[QuadList] Non-Contact Extraction of the Program from Quad Tape

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Mon Feb 16 13:15:42 CST 2009

Hi Allan,

Yes, Steve did mention investigating a non-contact quad at the NAB
meeting last April.  I don't think it received a resounding
accveptance but I think it has merit.

Since the magnetic field reduced greatly as distance is increased
between tape and head, you would need a focused and high gain method
of reading the magnetic variations. Perhaps the same spinning heads
but not touching the tape, like a hard drive where the head is right
above the platter but never touches it. It may be that the magnetism
of a quad tape is much higher than a hard drive plater and be "easy"
to read (magnetic flux density or tesla units or webers per square
meter).

And then, it may be interesting to use a "track developer" to see the
tracks and then read them optically.

Time base correction will take care of timing errors and you could
paint out dropouts like Quantel does by taking the previous or
following field and replacing the line.

Much work needs to be done.

Best,
Park