[QuadList] Non-Contact Extraction of the Program from Quad Tape

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 14:00:21 CST 2009

This is an interesting discussion.  I see a couple of issues.

One has to assume that the tape was recorded to saturation.  That way  the
magnetic flux will be at the maximum possible.

Looking at the numbers that Ennes has in his VTR book, it will be
interesting to come up with a circuit that has the right emphasis and gain  required.

Not knowing the magnetic flux off the tape, it would be interesting to see
if reading it would be possible.  Was not the orsted around 600?  I do  not
have any old data sheets for tape.  The 10 mil track width would  help.  The
frequencies laid down will go from 4.28 to 10 MHz unless we are  talking Super
High Band and then the max would be 12.2 MHz.

Could an air film be pumped into the head tape interface to allow the  flying
of the heads?

Optical will not work with the previous type of developers.  The need  to see
a bandwidth of 12.2 MHZ in each track is going to be difficult.  The  small
particles would probably ruin the tape if it is ever run again.

How can one play a tape without destroying the layers of the tape.   Not
having played a tape for years, what is the condition of the binders in a  typical
tape?  Is there any one type that has less problems?  Is there  one that is
really bad?

Are there any special procedures that one should use.

Chris Hill
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe
bemailfooterNO62)