[QuadList] Non-Contact Extraction of the Program from Quad Tape - Ampex non-moving head

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Mon Feb 16 18:15:27 CST 2009

I attended a SMPTE conference when Mark Sanders, GM of Ampex audio-
video division, talked about some experiments that Ampex was dong. One
was a non-moving type "C" record head. The concept was to have the
magnetic field move up and down the stationary head. Many of our Asian
friends were taking copious notes.

The quad head pushes so hard into the tape that the documentation
talks about the "tent" shape that is caused by the penetration. The
heat generated is tremendous. So a stationary head would cause much
less damage to the tape.

The next question I have is how good is the playback? Does an AVR-1
recover everything on the tape? I would suggest yes but there may be
something more there.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward