[QuadList] Non-Contact Extraction of the Program from Quad Tape

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 16 20:44:29 CST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. Park Seward"

> Having played back quad tapes from the 60s to the 80s, most have been
> in excellent condition. The worst tape was an RCA branded tape that
> had SSS. I don't know who actually made the tape.

I agree with Park that many quad tapes are still in excellent condition.
I've had SSS tapes from all manufacturers, but every one of them has
responded to proper baking, and when done correctly, generally continue to
be OK for years.  Interestingly, the oldest, brown oxide, non-backcoated
tapes can be the easiest to recover.  The early backcoated tapes are the
worst.

Don