[QuadList] Responding to: Excellent Exchange - Non-Contact Extraction of the Program from Quad Tape - Ampex non-moving head

allanmc-avtech at comcast.net allanmc-avtech at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 20:14:05 CST 2009

Park points out good concerns about automated features that do bear caution since the tape media is fragile and innreplaceable.

BTW, even though storage space and its expense will always be an issue to be dealt with, I personally do not favor discarding the original master tapes even after they are transferred. We should always be hopeful that a future technology will enable a superior playback. Keeping the original cool and dry does not seem to be too much to ask.... as long as we can encourage the boss to keep paying the rent on the archive.

Allan