[QuadList] 15,000 hours of quad tape to be transfered

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 17:36:01 CST 2009

In a message dated 2/28/2009 6:23:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dwnorwood at embarqmail.com writes:

> Here's a story that may lead to a lot of transfer work for someone.
> Actually, I think it's about 50% quad and 50% 1".  If you click on the slide
>
> show advance, you'll see a pic of some of the stored tape.
>
> http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/567233.html
>
> As far as I know from a few visits to the studio, PTL was always an RCA
> shop, starting out with a TR-22 and later having a bunch of TR-70's.
>
> I have an equipment inventory tag from an auctioned off piece of their
> equipment.  Besides the usual item number, the tag reads "Property of GOD,
> On Loan to PTL".  It was an "interesting" operation to say the
> least...........
>
> Don

In my opinion, before anyone has visions of grandeur, you must realize that
intellectual property rights, music rights, appearance contracts, and all
paperwork relating to each program, etc., must be 100% legally cleared before you
can do anything. Lawyers would have to be involved and it might take years to
determine what, if any, rights you have to use the images and sounds from those
tapes. Otherwise, you may end up with only flanges and shipping containers
you bought for several million dollars.

Let's say that "big shot deep pockets" bought the whole collection, and wants
you to transfer some tapes. If the legality of these tapes and tape ownership
is not clearly defined, you must have some legal protection should the
lawyers come after the facility or garage operation that transferred those tapes.

Something to think about...

David

You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars
updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.
(http://movies.aol.com/oscars-academy-awards?ncid=emlcntusmovi00000001)