[QuadList] Gene Kelley Show color recording system

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 2 08:11:24 CST 2009

		On Jan 1, 2009, at 5:13 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:

 > Question: Why would the chroma not have the same error as the
luminance?

		I offer:

	In an original direct recording, chroma WOULD have the same errors as
luminance.  Once copied from one machine to another, color processing
would produce new separate chroma errors from the luminance's,
resulting in different mechanical errors between the two.  This makes
the color information 'non-coherent' with the luminance.
	I faintly recall that Ampex machines had a separate RF or demod output
that allowed dubbing the signal (prior to any processing) directly from
one machine to another.  While this would introduce additional
mechanical errors, the errors would be in both chroma and luma equally,
since they had not been separated and processed separately.  Sort of an
analog 'clone', if you will.  I don't know if there were any dubs made
in this way, but the connection was there on the back of the VR-2000, I
believe.

		Park also asked:

 > How does velocity error show up in monochrome?

		I say:

	Aside from what has already been mentioned, it must be said that
velocity error exists even in monochrome.  But since monochrome
reproduction is not as critical as color reproduction, velocity error
is not normally visible.  Velocity error is microscopic compared to
other mechanical errors.

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York