[QuadList] "Nixon-Khrushchev Kitchen Debate" on Amazon

Steve Greene steve.greene at nara.gov
Mon Jan 5 09:24:45 CST 2009

Hi,
I'm the AV archivist at the Nixon Library.  I'm unsure of the
provenance of this particular recording, but we have at least two
versions of the "Kitchen Debate".  One is a high-band color copy,
presumably from a low-band original or copy.  The tape is about 18
minutes and is quite noisy, as the earliest low-band recordings often
were when played back from later generation machines.  We also have a
shorter black and white copy that contains voice-over translation of the
Russian, also quite noisy.

It was my understanding that the original was recorded at the Ampex
exhibit at the 1959 Moscow Trade Fair.  Therefore the copyright should
reside with the Ampex Corporation (unless they failed to renew it).  I
believe the records of the Ampex Corporation were deeded to Stanford
University, and are a core collection of its "Silicon Valley Museum".
If anyone knows otherwise, I would be interested to learn more.

Thanks,

Steve Greene
Audiovisual Archivist
Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
(301) 837-1772

>>> park at videopark.com 1/3/2009 2:08:26 PM >>>

http://www.amazon.com/Nixon-Khrushchev-Kitchen-President-Kennedy-Khrushchev/dp/B000XPXUPE/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

Studio: National Archives and Records AdministrationDVD Release Date:
October 22, 2007Run Time: 16 minutes

$10.95

Best,
Park