[QuadList] WireLock Systems

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 13:58:10 CST 2009

		On Jan 9, 2009, at 9:49 PM, allanmc-avtech at comcast.net wrote:

 > At the Washington CBS News Bureau we also locked to Rubidium.   But,
I recall also there being times when we would go into a "WireLock mode"
before feeding the Network.  My recollection was that the remote studio
(Washington) would receive analog correction signals via AT&T lines
from the Master Broadcast Studio (New York) to lock our sync generators
to them.
			<snip>
 > I also recall some glitches with that system.  i.e., one night our
Washington CR switcher took and put a 2" quad VTR deck on the line to
the network before it was fully locked up.  Since the New York and
Washington sync generators where WireLocked together,...the bump and
grind of the two generator systems chasing each other was not a pretty
sight.
			<snip>
 > Does anyone else remember the WireLock system?

		I answer:

	I personally never worked with it, but I recall that there was an
automatic feedback system invented to avoid the timing coordination
ritual that Phil and I referred to.  I never saw it implemented at NBC,
probably because of the troubles you mentioned.

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York