[QuadList] AVR-3 War Story

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Fri Jul 24 22:09:52 CDT 2009

WTVJ bought 5 of the AVR-3's when they first came  out.

After many years of very good service, they were   traded-in to Ampex
for VPR-2B's...  The 3's were in excellent  condition both cosmetically and
operationally.  They  were all fully loaded with the editor and the Super
High  Band option.

A prospective buyer for 3 of the machines, was sent by Ampex  to
pick out the machines he wanted to purchase.  The  machines would then be
sent back to Ampex for checkout and any upgrades  etc...

The buyer arrived at the station and I had the task of showing  him the
machines so that he could take his pick of the  best.

He looked over the first machine and asked me to record some  bars,
which I did.  I then rewound the tape and punched play  and the
playout bars were looking real good, as usual...   He asked if we were
looking at the tape or the router and I had to tap the tension  arm a
little bit to show him that it was indeed playback and not  E-E!!    ;-)

He was even more impressed when he could see that all 5 of the  machines
could usually do a 2 second roll to full H&V  lock...

He picked the 3 that he liked best, wrote down all the  pertinent serial
numbers and details and thanked me for my  time!!

Don Murray
Retired from 40 years in Miami Television
35+years at WTVJ NBC O&O

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377105x1201454426/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
=JulystepsfooterNO115)