[QuadList] Computer Editing

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Sat Jul 25 01:29:13 CDT 2009

When I worked at WFTX-TV, in 1990, we had a CMX Edge with a massive 50
event memory! There were a few problems though.

We didn't have any way to save EDLs. No floppy or tape drive.
Once the 50 event memory was full, it would start erasing the oldest
events.
We would carefully write down on paper all of the time-codes to have
something to go back to later.
The ballistics of the more modern Betacam SP and Oxide machines were
sometimes too much for the edge to handle.
(The photos of the system on the manual showed it working with BVU-200s)

Sadly, the VR-1200s were already gone when I arrived there, but the
ruts across the epoxy studio floor from when they were rolled out are
probably still there. :)

Scott Thomas