[QuadList] AVR-3

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 23:59:02 CDT 2009

WGN was doing local eng at the time, and they didn't feel comfortable putting U-matic directly to air from the pro-sumer machines being used in the industry at that time like 2850s and 2850As.? They didn't trust the BVU-200 series either.? So they dubbed everything to a two inch reel to reel and played it from the AVR for faster lock up.? After Killer threw tape at the ceiling one time too many they bought 4 of the newly minted BVU-800s and played those to air using TBC 2000s.? During my career there, my job was mostly associate with the remote trucks covering Cubs baseball and other sports.? I rarely darkened the studio doors for an update on operational niceties like?the adventures of Killer.? I only got to see him do his thing twice when covering a news shift where someone had called in sick. It was something to see. Those machines had monstrous reel motors and when they would spool up in opposite directions, they could launch a good deal of tape before anyone could intervene

Bob Bruner
W9TAJ
WTTW/Chicago

>>Subject: Re: [QuadList] AVR-3s
Hi Bob...

Very interesting...

The AVR 3's were in the production area.  All network  news stories were
put across to the production ACR-25 for  playout.  Film stories remained on
A-B reels...

In the air area, an AVR-1 two AVR2's and the second  ACR-25 handled
those duties.  Production VTR's could be called across to  air if needed.

During the AVR-3 ramp up with the field engineers, I did see  some two
inch tape get "snapped" in half when one of the 3's would do a
fast-forward and rewind simultaneously!!!  ;-)   Fun stuff!!  That problem was
solved!!

DonM

  I worked at WGN for several years and they had some AVR-3s, used mostly
for production.
  Every
once in a while
 when given the button push to go to the next cut, or whatever, the AVR
would go nuts and
 spin the reels counter to each other and throw tape all the way to the
ceiling. It was
 a problem neither they nor Ampex ever solved. That particular AVR was
referred to by the
 operators as "Killer."

 Bob Bruner
 WTTW/Chicago

Please  trim posts to relevant info when replying!
Send QuadList list posts to  QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com
Your subscribe, unsubscribe and digest  options are  here:
oup.com

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
yExcfooterNO62)

Send QuadList list posts to QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com

End of QuadList Digest, Vol 13, Issue 69