[QuadList] NEC TBC

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 13:34:01 CDT 2009

No easy way to compare TBC's.  There are a couple of things to look  for.

1    8 bit or 10?  If 10 more quantizing levels to  allow better pictures.

2    What is window?  For a vertical lock machine,  It only has to be one
line.  Then you have the issue of providing advanced  sync to the machine to
get the correct time out of the TBC and stay centered in  the window.

3    Direct color always has a better bandwidth so thus  more detail and
quality of picture.  But the real issue is how good are the  filters.  The pre
A-D filter has to be wide enough to not cause artifacts  and yet keep the
video below the Nyquist frequencies.  The post D-A filter  has to be good
enough to prevent ringing yet smooth out the samples and keep  bandwidth flat.
These are tradeoffs that are made during the design of a  TBC.  More with
cost than anything else.  I say that because it  depends on the market that
you are marketing the TBC to.

4    Sample rates are always better at higher  numbers.  4X subcarrier is
one that is popular in NTSC because you can do  some tricks in the color
process.  Also if you are doing any size changes  it makes the math easier.

5    A TBC that is designed for heterodyne process will  always look worse
than a direct one on a non heterodyne signal.  Just the  nature of the
filters for Chroma and Luminance processing.

Those are my thoughts.  And I am no expert.  These are just  observations
over the years.

Chris Hill
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823300x1201398714/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=