[QuadList] 1/2" Reel to Reel VTR and TBCs-some useful info from BAVC and the Video Preservation Project

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Jul 13 00:04:26 CDT 2009

Hi, guys (and our lady members, also),

On Jul 12, 2009, at 8:44 PM, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:
> Interesting on the monitor technique. good suggestion.
> yes  we have CV units but most of the Radical Video we have is on
> EIAJ

The Bay Area Video Coalition  http://www.bavc.org has a history of
doing half-inch reel transfers and also of sharing its experiences.

Here's an article directly related to the CV and EIAJ formats:
http://www.experimentaltvcenter.org/history/preservation/preservation_level1.php3?id=2&id2=6&id3=12

Here's an outline of BAVC's transfer setup, which uses a Sony BVT-810
16 line TBC, and a DPS TBC similar or the same as what Ed has, which
they use to transfer skip field from a CV-2100.
http://www.experimentaltvcenter.org/history/preservation/preservation_level1.php3?id=2&id2=8&id3=12

The lower section of the article explains the basics of waveform
monitors and vectorscopes, and how it uses the DPS VScope.

The entire article, "Reel to Real: A Case Study of BAVC's Remastering
Model" starts here:
http://www.experimentaltvcenter.org/history/preservation/preservation_toc.php3?id=2

Ken Zin (then at Merlin Engineering south of SF) helped in BAVC's
early time.

The Video History Project's "The Basics" section may be a good
resource for clients.
http://www.experimentaltvcenter.org/history/preservation/preservation_toc.php3?id=1

If enough folks from the group are in the Bay Area at one time, I'd be
happy to arrange a Quad Videotape Group gathering at BAVC ... and also
see if AVR-300 owner John Pommon at Antique Video is open for a visit.

----
Thanks for making the subject line changes.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com