[QuadList] Chris Hill's old favorite TBC--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Jul 25 19:19:58 CDT 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 8:37 PM, Chill315 at aol.com wrote:

> There is the old favorite TBC that is all forgiving and allows for
> unique control.  It is the most beautiful system ever devised.
> Requires the use of two pieces of equipment and some care.
>
> Take an under scanned black and white monitor and shoot it with a
> camera.  Then you have all sorts of control via knobs on the
> monitor and the camera.  The monitor acts as a beautiful sponge.
> If you have a fast time constant in the monitor, then you do not
> see any flagging.  Use a dark room to get rid of reflections.
>
> I have done that in the past and it works.
>
> Chris Hill

Same idea behind the slow-scan to NTSC frame rate converter for the
moon shots, with an added disc recorder to repeat frames as needed.

I used the same "shoot a monitor" technique when working in a 3/4"
suite that lacked a second TBC for A-B roll.

We had some color composite Commodore computer monitors that we used
for general purposes around the facility. No underscan, but had good
pictures for video or computer signals.

I put one of those in a dark room, put tape over the camera tally
light and with bars on the screen adjusted framing, zoom and focus as
needed to get the image size needed with minimum Moiré.

With a properly chipped 3-Saticon camera, I found that I usually
needed to reduce the brightness, contrast and saturation on the
monitor but got a very nice picture I could shade from the CCU if
needed.

Like horror movie SFX, it worked well if you didn't keep full-screen
stuff up longer than needed to get through the transition and to the
next cut.  Picture-in-picture shots worked better, and I'd put the
monitor in a box wipe to eliminate any curved edges of the monitor.

Ah, the olden days when chewing gum and bailing wire were still useable.