[QuadList] Quad tape restoration featured: NASA Holds Briefing to Release Restored Apollo 11 Moonwal

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Jul 14 10:30:18 CDT 2009

Hi, Steve,

Any kinescopes would have been from the post-conversion broadcast
feeds or 2" Quad tapes made from those feeds.

All the articles I've read say the signal path was Moon—>Downlink sites
—>optical SSTV to Broadcast converters—>World.

Repeated here:  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo_tapes.html

These three tracking stations recorded the original signal that
included the television video, as well as voice, telemetry, and
biomedical data. The data was recorded onto magnetic tapes, and
simultaneously converted into a U.S. broadcast format for transmission
to Houston and final release to U.S. television networks. The
equipment used to convert the signal unfortunately caused some
unavoidable loss of image quality.

The same webpage reports "First-generation copies of the converted
video from Apollo 11 as well as other first-generation copies and some
original versions of the converted video for the Apollo 12 through
Apollo 17 flights are still in NASA Johnson Space Center's
Informational Resources Directorate's video vault in Houston."

So... it will be interesting to see what the improved versions look
like on Thursday, and may well testify to what you can do with a well-
made Quad recording of even marginal looking material.

Ted

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com