[QuadList] VR-660's used for Apollo

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Jul 16 19:31:54 CDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Don Norwood wrote:
> The link that was posted to the Honeysuckle info site ( http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/station/video.html
>  ) also indicated that a VR-1100 was used.  The site says that 660's
> were used instead of the 1100 after Apollo 14.  But a color pic on
> that site which includes the VR-660's and the VR-1100 clearly shows
> that the 1100 was in record mode at that time, and the caption
> claims that it was during Apollo 17.
>
> Don

It looks like the VR-660's got used for a lot of things during Apollo.

We learned this morning that a pair of modified VR-660's were used to
record the slow scan video signal at Parkes. Those were the only
straight video recorders at Parkes. The other recorders were Mincom 22
data recorders.

 From the Parkes website, photo of the VR-660's:
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/index.html

Photo CSIRO: The 2 inch video tape recorders at Parkes.
As the video and telemetry downlink was being received at Parkes, it
was recorded onto 1/2 inch magnetic tapes on a Mincom M22
instrumentation recorder at a rate of 120 inches per second. These
tapes had to be changed every 15 minutes during the whole period of
the moonwalk.

If this caption is correct, the modified VR-660's are pictured here.

Click here for a bigger picture of the VR-660's at Parkes:
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/images/ampex_tapes.gif

The page continues:

The scan-converted commercial NTSC standard television at Sydney Video
was recorded on an Ampex VR660 two-head helical recorder using 2-inch
tape.

Which is here, just off the right side of the photo on this page:
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/parkes_comms.html

Bigger photo: http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/images/sydney_video.jpg

Photo courtesy of Richard Holl: The scene in the OTC Paddington
terminal. (L-R) Charlie Goodman, Verne McGlynn, Richard Holl, Elmer
Fredd, Ted Knotts, and Ray Louve.
The photograph on the right illustrates the scene in the OTC
Paddington terminal. Charlie Goodman is seated to the left of Verne
McGlynn (his surname is uncertain) who is operating the switch that
selects the Parkes or Honeysuckle Creek TV. The console has four small
monitors and one large monitor. Of the four small monitors, the top
left one had the TV from the Honeysuckle Creek scan-converter and the
top right monitor had the TV from the Parkes scan-converter. The
bottom left monitor displayed the TV from the ABC and the lower right
monitor had the TV from Houston. The large monitor was displaying the
output of the switch.

Richard Holl, seen standing with his back to camera, was the Bendix
Field Engineering Corporation engineer who helped design modifications
to the RCA scan-converters. He was the first to arrive in Sydney, and
with the help of OTC technician, Wayne Ozarko, he installed all the
equipment seen in the photograph. Elmer Fredd is seated at the scan-
converter. To his right is Ted Knotts standing at an oscilloscope. Ray
Louve is sitting in front of an Ampex VR660 video recorder.

Behind Charlie, just out of view, was another room known as the
International Telecommunications Operating Centre (ITOC). Here the OTC
personnel controlled the relays that fed the signals to Charlie
Goodman and his team. In charge of ITOC was Bob Goodman (who was no
relation to Charlie). Bob was the OTC International Co-ordinator for
all the transmissions between Australia and the USA. There was a glass-
panelled wall separating the two rooms that allowed the OTC and ABC
personnel to monitor the broadcast from the Moon.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com