[QuadList] Cronkite's first half-hour newscast... count the tape roll ins

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Sat Jul 18 15:29:56 CDT 2009

Yes, it does look like everything is clipped somewhat...although Walter
in the studio shot doesn't look too bad.
IO cameras had a pretty forgiving knee themselves....no artificial
processing circuitry required. I don't really remember looking at a
grayscale chart on a TK-60 or 11, but I don't remember them having any
real problems with blacks....and we certainly weren't concerned with
noise all that much.
I think the advent of color....the TK-41 and  later....plumbicon
cameras, which had no real knee on their own, made getting the proper
exposure a little more universal.
And Chris just reminded me in his post that the early b/w IO cameras did
not have iris servos....so you had to light your scenes consistently and
were stuck with your initial f stop.  I don't remember ever telling the
camera operator to "reach around and stop that thing down a little!".
We did "ride the gain" for minor corrections however, as Chris pointed out.
Guy