[QuadList] Videotape of CBS Kennedy assassination

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 21:33:00 CDT 2009

In a message dated 7/20/2009 6:15:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sjones69 at bellsouth.net writes:

> Guys,
>
> This is my first post here, and while I wasn't around during the Quad days
> (or indeed even in television during 1-inch days), I enjoy reading about
> all
> this great gear and your stories.
>
> I seem to recall that in documentaries I've seen, the footage of Walter
> Cronkite doing Kennedy assassination breaking news was from kinescope.
> During the past several days, I've seen some of those clips over and over
> again in Cronkite retrospective pieces, and they are videotape!  Under
> what
> circumstances might have both kinescopes and videotapes been made of the
> live coverage?
>
> Has the quad tape of the coverage only recently been unearthed, or is it
> conceivable that the kinescope version has been in circulation simply

> because it was at hand when someone needed it?
>
> Also why does the VT or kinnie of the first flash bulletin exist in the
> first place?  Is the source CBS's time zone delay recording of the daytime
> soaps?
>
> On a side note, I recently got to witness a quad machine in action for the
> first time!  It was a later model Ampex (sorry don't know enough about
> them
> to know which one; a model number wasn't evident on the machine) at South
> Carolina Educational TV.  What a thrill to see a tape threaded and played
> back on that beast!
>
> Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
>
> Sammy Jones
> Associate Producer
> Georgia Public Broadcasting

Hello Sammy,

Welcome aboard!

It is my understanding that the source of the "news flash" was the zone
delay recording made at CBS Hollywood, intended for the West coast playback.

As far as whether a kine or tape was used for a certain clip i.e. Cronkite,
both of those elements have been around as clips as far back as I can
remember. It just depends on where the user got the source material i.e. from
another show or an on-the-shelf library item. I've always preferred the tape
sources.

Regards,

David Crosthwait

DC Video
Archived Media Transfer & Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)
818-285-9942 (cell)
DCFWTX at AOL.COM
DAVID at DCVIDEO.COM
WWW.DCVIDEO.COM

What's for dinner tonight?  Find quick and easy dinner ideas
for any occasion.
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000008)