[QuadList] Experiments with deinterlacing on Quad playback

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 26 15:15:14 CDT 2009

		On Jul 24, 2009, at 10:30 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:

 > Been doing some experiments making video looking good on a computer
screen. As you know, all computer screens are progressive and require
deinterlacing of interlace sources. Also, some noise reduction and
image enhancement may be helpful.
				<snip>
 > So take a look at this H.264 clip. It is about 60 MB.
		<http://videopark.com/Demo/Leon.html>

		I bow to your accomplishments:

	Park, it looks beautiful to me.  I wanted to see the whole Redbone
performance!  The Creedence and Booker T & the MG's weren't too shabby
either.  It all ended much too soon and the pictures looked great.
	I did notice one little thing though:  During the CBS Sports opening,
the titles that were keyed on top of the animation appeared to be
originating from only one field of video.  I could see stair-stepping
in diagonals and curved letter edges, signs that the video source was
one field.  That was the only significant artifact I noticed and it
most likely was in the original recording itself because I didn't
notice any single-field (half-vertical resolution) material in anything
else; not even in the background behind those titles.  I only saw this
artifact in the keyed titles themselves.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York