[QuadList] Experiments with deinterlacing on Quad playback/Quad history note

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Jul 26 21:53:22 CDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Dennis Degan wrote:

> I wanted to see the whole Redbone performance!

I saw Leon Redbone open for George Carlin at Ceasar's Tahoe back
in... uh, when I had hair. I enjoyed Redbone more than Carlin.

Nice transfer and tweaking, Park.

I see some artifacts that are the result of film to video.  The CBS
Sports Spectacular open is on film, and the sponsor credits looked
like 2 x 2 slides keyed in.

If you step through the title change, you'll notice it's not a direct
cut... it has a bit of motion and field ghost that looks to me like
the "wipe" to the right from a multiplexer or slide projector mirror
flip.

The clip that follows the Redbone performance is also film... easily
seen when the organist does the bass to treble run up the keyboard,
and you can see the 3:2 pulldown easily.

The pulldown on Green Acres has already been mentioned. The telecine
system used seems to have a green ghost (reg error? Optical problem?)
visible in to the right of Oliver's right shirt sleeve.

Somewhat like the optical ghosting someone pointed out last year in
the RCA-TK41 that shot the so-called "Kitchen Debate" with Nixon and
Nikita 50 years ago last Friday (July 24).

Apparently the dichroic mirror system didn't like being hit with
bright images.

See separate post about the Kitchen Debate tape.