[QuadList] Fits in a Volkswagen Microbus! The Ampex VR-1100E and 1200E--from the files of David Crosthwait

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Jun 3 11:36:05 CDT 2009

David  Crosthwait notes that Ampex made a "compact" Quad, and sends
along the product information sheet for our enjoyment and edification.

Look for the 1100E/1200E with overbridge installed in the Microbus on
page 2. There's room for a power meter panel  by the sliding door.
Nice looking install.  Wonder how the VW handled with 550 pounds at
the very back?

Thanks, David!

David writes:
Since we are discussing various 2" machines, with some meant for low-
cost, mass dubbing, here is an Ampex version. Note on the accessories
page: Amtec, channel equalizers etc., but no Colortec, Velcomp, or
Auto Chroma offered, as I would assume that there was not any
physical room for these units on the frame, or perhaps the spec.
sheet is only listing 1100E (black and white) options. These two
models were for very basic record and playback only (one meant for
black and white, one meant for color). Similar to, but more advanced
than the RCA TR 5 (which was a low-band record devise, demod.
playback only).

David Crosthwait
DC Video
www.dcvideo.com