[QuadList] Friday Night Follies: KTXL's first newscast-9/74-Quad dub on YouTube

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jun 19 23:11:36 CDT 2009

KTXL, 40, Sacramento, debuted the market's first 10 p.m. newscast in
1974, something I recall auditioning for a year out of high school
with some radio reporting under my belt.

Here are what appear to be dubs from Quad to ?/ that are now on
YouTube.  Watch in the HQ mode, as it makes a surprising difference.

How do I know these are Quad recordings?  Take a look. You'll see :(])

Look for a little mis-timing when they key the the graphics.

The station had 3 or 4 TR-50's or 60's in the machine area off Master
Control.

It was an RCA turnkey plant that went on in 1969 with TK-42's, later
replaced with TK-44somethings... and then TK-47's that Chuck Pharris
acquired when they were retired about four years ago.

Clip 1:	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjA5CTDO60

Clip 2:	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhzj8ST4hH4

Clip 3:	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCixzLEP0KA

Sign off 1:	1982 w/TCR-100s, TR-600 and TR-50's or 60's
			http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buI9CoEgI0o

			They had two TCR's when I was shooting newsfilm there in 1979. At :
46 You'll see both
			in the machine room config I recall.

Sign off 2		1985 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kz469Be8CQ
			starts w/Sacramento's first one inch room...
			VPR-2(B's?) and a Paltex Vanguard ABC roll editor
			TCR-100s but not side by side, more VPR's in MCR and the
aforementioned
			TR-50/60's beyond the TP-66's.

			I think the shot at :26 is the play to air part of the machine room.

Sign on 1:	1995:  By now, there were no Quad machines, but still a lot
of 1" for recording
			satellite-fed programming (and pre-FOX, a lot of movies.) I have
some of the
			syndie and movie reels, rescued when the library was converted to
BetacamSX.

LaBries Spot	Tour of KTXL during "Night Comfort Theatre." Watch for
the TR-70, and
			the trio of TR-50's or 60's next to the TCR-100

Enjoy.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com