[QuadList] The Second VR-1200B comes to life

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Jun 2 13:10:54 CDT 2009

Congratulations, Park,

On Jun 2, 2009, at 9:49 AM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJsx80gRHI

Glad to know you've been able to trace down the source of the banding.
The clip you sent that was H264? compressed  and "native" frame size
looked very clean otherwise.  I'm guessing first generation?

I'm curious to know what was on the label of this particular
videotape? (Or was it this Sony 970 with no label?)

Do you know the nature of the broadcast and the record-date and
location?

Yakima counts Itayanagi, Japan as a sister city, which may have some
connection to the clip. Or not.

A bit of background:  This tape and Quad machines were from KNDO,
Yakima, WA.

KNDO is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. On the clip, I
think the caucasian gent in the middle of the Japanese folks is Hugh
Davis, founder of the station, seen in the lower right photo on this
page http://www.kndu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10289532

Hugh's son Bob has been involved with the station since birth, and
talks about his dad and and TD'ing the late newscast in the 60's... in
a way that might have been very typical for a station in this small of
a market. You'll chuckle and nod your head.  Clips here: http://www.kndu.com/Global/category.asp?C=167409

Park: You'd sent a bunch of photos of tapes that came with the
VR-1200's, and some of these tapes look like they may have been not
just of Japanese manufacture—Sony, Fuji, etc.—but may have been
recorded in Japan, as the Sony shipper with Japanese writing on the
side indicates.

The Toshiba/Fuji reel is interesting, because Toshiba was at one time
Ampex's Japanese partner in a company making Quads for the Japanese
market.  Has me thinking that perhaps it was recorded on a Toshiba-
made machine.

Now if we could find someone in Japan who knows the background of
Japanese Quad manufacture and deployment...

David C. probably has seen quite a few that look like this:

Have fun as the reels turn.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com