[QuadList] Merlinized Shibaden for Vidtronics' dub system (was Toshiba)

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Jun 2 19:11:02 CDT 2009

I had the chance to tour Vidtronics and see these units in operation.
Jack Calloway was the chief guru and all things technical at the time.  He  had
also made up his first modifications to CMX editors and programming to do
off line work.  Later built his own editors.

The dubbing system was an excellent way to do syndication at the  time.
Merlin did a control system and it was a great idea.  This was  before the
AMPEX high speed duplicator.  So Vidtronics could do a number of  dubs all at
once without tieing up the machines that were editing.  I still  remember
seeing some VR-2000 machines that had EECO systems built in and these  were
used as cuts only systems.  It was a room that had a couple of  machines and
you stood at the machine and edited your show.  The only thing  was that it
was frame accurate.

I was always under the impression that these Merlin decks were  Shibaden.
How does Toshiba get involved in this?

Chris Hill
cntnew00000007)