[QuadList] Copyright (and other rights) Issues

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Jun 7 13:36:58 CDT 2009

On Jun 7, 2009, at 8:33 AM, DCFWTX at aol.com wrote:
> It's one thing for a kid in the back bedroom of his home to
> broadcast his latest skateboard video. But running corporate videos
> and broadcast material containing live and deceased talent, is a
> risk not worth taking.

What David points out in the entirety of his post is a group of things
that go above and beyond issues of Copyright to a particular program
or content.

For music in programs, there's a "performance rights" issue... the
right to "perform" the music in public. And if one is using the music
as background for images, there's a "Synchronization License" needed.
Terms and costs vary with the intended use and potential distribution.

The documentary "Eyes on the Prize" was not able to be publicly
distributed or broadcast for quite a while, because the producers had
only licensed rights to some music clips for seven years... all they
could afford to do at the time.  Which was before there was much
thought to the program having some "legs" both in broadcast and "for
sale" media like VHS and DVD.  I understand those issues have been
resolved recently, and the program is now available.

The "Right of Publicity" through which celebrities (or the average
person) can control the use of their image, likeness and voice is
another significant issue, and one which many famous people—or their
estates—vigorously defend.

One such estate is that of Dr. Martin Luther King.  Depending on the
use, one has to license from King's estate the of use excerpts of his
"I have a dream" speech and others, because of the underlying
copyright in the written speech, itself, and the "right of publicity"
as it may apply.

The inability to clear ALL the rights—copyright, performance rights to
music, right to use a performer's appearance on a program, making
contractually required payments to musicians in a show's band or
orchestra, etc.—may be significant reasons that more programs that
were recorded on Quad or Kinescope—and are on shelves world-wide are
not publicly available.

YouTube or otherwise, as David says, it can be a quagmire with some
unintended consequences.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com