[QuadList] Copyright Issues

dcfwtx at aol.com dcfwtx at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 10:33:03 CDT 2009

 Don,

Further comment: When one places video onto You Tube that one does not own the rights to do so, you are providing risky worldwide distribution of such media. The "views" counter will indicate how many have watched. What this You Tube (or any publishing does) pipeline does is to place this material onto the desk tops of anyone, including media companies i.e. General Electric, Paramount, Disney, etc. Also, causal or intentional surfing by musician unions, estate lawyers, and other intellectual representatives etc. are going on.

Does anyone on this list really want to risk their company, their home and family life, and their reputation, simply for the bragging rights that they can do such and such transfer? Would any client want to risk their material with any person or company that has has placed intellectual property onto You Tube in the past, present, or future? I would think not.

It's one thing for a kid in the back bedroom of his home to broadcast his latest skateboard video. But running corporate videos and broadcast material containing live and deceased talent, is a risk not worth taking. Can you imagine this: You have 1,000 hits on your prized You Tube posting. One of those hits is on the computer for the legal representative for Johnny Big Shot. He's not happy, and proceeds to forward this to other legal entities. You end up with a legal quagmire, fees to defend your self that weren't exactly discussed by others on web based forums, and the word gets spread about your poor decision.? The legal decision and assessed costs to you may be based on how many "hits" on You Tube and is part of the mathematical calculation as to how much you owe everybody.

It's not worth it.

David