[QuadList] Visual Electronics VA Quad deck

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Jun 14 15:38:01 CDT 2009

Hi, Guy,

On Jun 14, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Guy Spiller wrote:

> Now, I can see the picture as well.  Interesting looking machine.  I
> wonder...did they make their own headwheel panels, or did they use
> an Ampex or RCA?
> Guy

None of the above.  Visual bought Fernseh (Bosch) Quad head
assemblies, such as seen here on the LabGuy's World website:
http://www.labguysworld.com/Fernseh_NR-286.htm

The head is stamped "5 mils" which would imply it was used for 7.5 ips
recordings.

I see what appears to be an air fitting on the left side of this
picture:
http://www.labguysworld.com/Fernseh_NR-286_039.jpg

indicating that this is an air-bearing head.

Richard notes that the head assembly pictured came from Merlin
Engineering Works in Palo Alto.

There is a connection between all of these companies, and we'll
explain that in the upcoming story about the Visual deck.

You might also be surprised to learn what radio/TV host, composer and
pianist/organist is tied into the story.

Sorry if this comes off like a big tease (must be the producer-side
coming out) but I'm waiting for permission to reprint comments that
have been e-mailed to me, and to see what other visual material comes
about.

Hopefully all that coincides with getting some time freed up to
assemble more pages for the site.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com