[QuadList] Friday Night Follies: Adds missing links to sign on and spot

Tim Stoffel tim at lionlamb.us
Mon Jun 22 22:52:05 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 10:17 -0700, C. Park Seward wrote:
> I felt that Sony should have made Digital Betacam cheaper rather than
> introducing a totally new format. I vote for fewer formats, not more.
> Maybe "Digi Beta Lite".  Remember the price of the Digi Beta
> camcorders. Way too high, IMHO.

Consider, though, that Digibeta is a much higher performance format than
SX. Everything in a digibeta machine has to be high precision. More bits
written to/read from tape.

I did find out if you play an SX tape in a Beta SP machine, you can see
the 'tracks' in the noise on the screen. One day, that was the clue
someone had given me an SX tape instead of a misrecorded SP tape. (Yes,
it was on an SP tape!)

Tim Stoffel