[QuadList] 15,000 hours of quad tape to be transfered

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:02:41 CST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Degan"

> Wow.  Yes, he was my boss.  Have you seen my 1977 'tour' of WRET?  I
> thread up a VR-1200 and show off an ACR-25, as well as a whole bunch of
> other stuff:
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw4S2VD-zVM>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGA-GoSgPiY>

Those links sent me to some WIS segments but I found the WRET 'tour'.
Thanks, I had not seen that!  Camera sensitivity certainly has come a long
way!

My first visits there were prior to that in the early days of Turner's
ownership.  They did have a pair of 1200's, but only a single waveform
monitor between them with an external box that allowed both signals to be
seen in a "split" display.  There were Envirozones over the macines.  The
switcher was a Riker, and the studio cameras were GE.  I remember some
discussion of using someone other than Ampex to rebuild heads, but that was
not possible because the machines were financed by Ampex and they still
'owned' the heads.

Don