[QuadList] SSSM has been taken down

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 5 11:15:43 CST 2009

		Listers:

	I've just found out that one of my trusted resources for old TV
editing and VTR information has been taken off the web.  After Jack
Calaway died, I guess no one was around to maintain the site.
	Did anyone have the foresight to save it and put it back up on the
internet?  If it disappears, that would be a great loss.  Here's what
Ted Langell said on another list about Calaway in November when his
passing was announced:

       - - - - - - - - - - -

Jack operated Software Systems/Sierra Madre
http://www.sssm.com/

and hosted a virtual Museum of Early Video Editing Equipment and
Techniques on the site:
http://www.sssm.com/editing/museum/index.html

He was responsible for the Calaway series of PC based editors, and had
a hand in developing other equipment.

Among other things that Jack developed was the AVRS, which the Museum
describes as the "first film to video tape edit controller. It was 3:2
aware, and insured that all edits on the tape occurred between film
frames. AVRS controlled a Rank telecine and two VTR's via CMX
compatible interface's."

It was succeeded by the Time Logic Controller, which lives on as a
DaVinci Systems product.

Read more about it here:
http://www.sssm.com/editing/museum/specials/specials.html

...in an article by Jim Lindelien, who was one of TLC's developers.

I hope the museum website stays up. Its a great resource and archive
for things that otherwise may be lost.

Perhaps someone ought to back up the pages?

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York