[QuadList] SSSM has been taken down--- but here's where to find it.

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Mar 5 13:14:09 CST 2009

Dennis,

Yes, the site intact, and back up again.

site was backed up by an Australian who is writing a book about editing.

On Feb. 18, 2009 John Buck advised the TIG that:

> I noticed this week that Jack's great historical site that covers
> all electronic editing had closed due to hosting issues.
>
> With only the intention of keeping it alive, I have moved the files
> over
> to my own web domain.
>
> If anyone has any issues with that please let me know.
>
> John
>
> http://www.velocite.net/lobby.html
> http://www.velocite.net/ampex/ampex.html

So click on the links above to re-discover the content of the site.
(Thanks, Jack!)

I haven't had time to see whether the software Jack offered for free
on the site was also backed up and re-posted along with the museum
pages.

Perhaps Jack can advise whether he backed up the entire Sierra Madre
website or just the museum portion?

Jack... you can hit reply... and if you're not subscribed to the
QuadList, I'll get an e-mail asking for my approval, which I will give.

If you're at NAB this April, please make a point of coming by the
second annual lunch the group is having. 12:30, Tuesday, April 21
somewhere near the show floor.

Ted

On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Dennis Degan wrote:

> 		Listers:
>
> 	I've just found out that one of my trusted resources for old TV
> editing and VTR information has been taken off the web.  After Jack
> Calaway died, I guess no one was around to maintain the site.
> 	Did anyone have the foresight to save it and put it back up on the
> internet?  If it disappears, that would be a great loss.  Here's
> what Ted Langell said on another list about Calaway in November
> when his passing was announced:
>
>       - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Jack operated Software Systems/Sierra Madre
> http://www.sssm.com/
>
> and hosted a virtual Museum of Early Video Editing Equipment and
> Techniques on the site:
> http://www.sssm.com/editing/museum/index.html
>
> He was responsible for the Calaway series of PC based editors, and
> had a hand in developing other equipment.
>
> Among other things that Jack developed was the AVRS, which the
> Museum describes as the "first film to video tape edit controller.
> It was 3:2 aware, and insured that all edits on the tape occurred
> between film frames. AVRS controlled a Rank telecine and two VTR's
> via CMX compatible interface's."
>
> It was succeeded by the Time Logic Controller, which lives on as a
> DaVinci Systems product.
>
> Read more about it here:
> http://www.sssm.com/editing/museum/specials/specials.html
>
> ...in an article by Jim Lindelien, who was one of TLC's developers.
>
> I hope the museum website stays up. Its a great resource and
> archive for things that otherwise may be lost.
>
> Perhaps someone ought to back up the pages?
>
>       - - - - - - - - -
>

> 			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
> 	  				NBC Today Show, New York

> quadlist_quadvideotapegroup.com

209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.