[QuadList] TO-4s in TR-70s

WVGO WVGOfm at aol.com
Mon May 18 12:29:34 CDT 2009

Hi Chris....
I've never seen, in person,  a TR-70 with a TO-4 installed.  I worked
with plenty of them in TR-4s, 22s and 50s though, and I concur.....not
that great.
I might have seen some early RCA photos that showed one in a 70.  Maybe
some very early production 70s received them.  I have two TR-70As and
they both have 529s in them.  Perhaps RCA offered a retrofit kit to
incorporate the 529, as the bridge front panel is entirely different
over what would be required for a TO-4.   The ones in the picture appear
to be A's to me, as they do not have the "notched" end panels, and
appear to have the silver metal front panels on the bridges, compared to
the painted RCA blue panels on Bs and Cs....a little hard to tell from
that photo though.
Guy