[QuadList] Old jobs (was 7.5 ips experiences was AMPEX Mark Ten 5 mil head)

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 11:59:24 CST 2009

In a message dated 11/30/2009 8:51:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
quadruplex at verizon.net writes:

> Hi David,
> I must have set up and played back hundreds of those NET tapes from Ann
> Arbor in the '60s.  I was the nighttime transmitter op, tape op,
> switcher op, and station break announcer..oh, and night watchman...all
> at once. The good old days.....
> The station here started with a couple of TRT-1Bs and then later on a
> TR-3 and a couple of TR-4s.  I do remember a few of those tapes being
> 7.5, but that was very early on.   I don't remember any color ones though.
> I remember helping to install the 7.5 kits in the TRTs so that we could
> play them!
> Guy
>
> DCFWTX at aol.com wrote:
> >

> >Guy,
> >
> >I do occasionally get 7.5 I.P.S. tapes, both low band and high band.
> >They are usually but not always the old NET recordings (before PBS).
> >

> >David Crosthwait
> >
> >DC Video
> >Archived Media Transfer &Re-mastering Services
> >177 West Magnolia Blvd.
> >Burbank, CA. 91502
> >818-563-1073
> >818-563-1177 (fax)
> >818-285-9942 (cell)
> >DCFWTX at AOL.COM
> >DAVID at DCVIDEO.COM
> >WWW.DCVIDEO.COM

> --
> Guy Spiller
> email: quadruplex at verizon.net
> phone: (804) 379-2050
> website: www.GuySpiller.com
> Midlothian, VA

Hello Guy,

I believe the color tapes I have received were not from NET, but from local
affiliates (non-NET stations). Nonetheless, they are rare.

Ah yes, the overnight shift. Done that (the rewards for eagerness and a
Third Phone/First Phone license). Although I never had to do all at once
(MC/transmitter/tape/watachman), I did do all of the above except that the
transmitter was 20 miles away except for one. That station had a TT50AH adjacent to
the "everything room" with TRT 1, TR4, TR 70, and TCR 100 (shot is below).
What a "kabam!" when the mercury vapor tubes arc'd.

The other transmitter job I got roped into one summer was here at Mt.
Wilson (again thanks to a First Phone license) baby sitting what had to have been
the oldest transmitter up there, an ailing TT50AH. The station was too
cheap to remote it, and was having problems meeting payroll weekly. Hence, no
cash to buy anything new.

When doing a combo job in Dallas during lightening strikes (and momentary
power interruptions), some VR1200's would keep on going or go into rewind.
Quite a mess this would make while running MC and the tape room solo.

Didn't the NET facility in Ann Arbor burn to the ground?

David