[QuadList] Old jobs (was 7.5 ips experiences was AMPEX Mark Ten 5 mil head)

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Mon Nov 30 13:35:08 CST 2009

Hi David...
Great picture....Is that you there?  That must have hot sitting in there
amidst all that Camden blue!
I may have to see if I have any vintage pics from that era.
We had "everything" in the same huge room....tape, switching, film and
the venerable TTU-30.  Luckily, with solid state rectifiers, so the only
"boom" it made was the high voltage contactor kicking in or out or the
occasional lightning bolt coming down the tower and bouncing around the
transmitter.
I didn't really work overnight, as the station was only on until 10:30
or 11 pm back then.  I came in at 2 or 3 depending on when I could get
out of school, and did camera shading and tape for local productions
until that crew went home, and then I was on my own.  I got my First
Phone at 16, and started the solo gig immediately.
When we first got the 1200/2000s and the Marconi color cameras in '69,
we briefly did record "instructional" programs in high band at 7.5 as we
had done in low band monochrome on the TR-4s before.  I don't remember
the specific reason that we quit doing that, but it might have been
simply that some other stations that shared some of our programs, did
not have 5 mil heads and didn't want to bother with it for just a few
programs.
As for the fate of Ann Arbor, I really don't remember anything about
it's fate.  Once we got the AT&T line from the network, it was pretty
much "goodbye" to bicycled tapes.
Guy