[QuadList] Quad reproductions at AMIA Meeting

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Nov 4 21:40:17 CST 2009

I heartily agree with Jeff that the Quad material was quite the
thing... and a heck of a way to lead off the afternoon.
Looking forward to when David has time to re-tell the story here.

David's photos of the NBC tape room with Ampex VR-1000's and being
able to point to which VTR recorded this tape was cool.

The technical details regarding what it took to recover the tape were
quite interesting... and I loved the photo of the AVR-1 circuit card
and soldering iron.

The recovered content revealed just how far television production
capabilities advanced in the short time between 1951 and supers, to
1959.

Luminance keys with some rather interesting graphics being used in
the opening... and then the sequence that may have used ChromaKey to
enable a transition from the apartment where the party was taking
place... to the dance number... and back again.

NBC seems to have been at the forefront of pushing the production
envelope... as they did similar things on the Fred Astaire special
that same year.

Bravo to the crews from NBC 50 years ago and David's late night board
mod's and greenie work.

Ted