[QuadList] RCA Literature Available

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Thu Nov 12 00:36:17 CST 2009

A couple of months ago I was talking to our transmitter engineer about Quads. He mentioned something I hadn't heard before. Apparently, back in the 1970's, WINK-TV (the station I'm at) had an RCA TR-600 for a short time. I don't remember his exact words, but he thought it was some kind of maintenance nightmare. And the station didn't keep it very long. When I first visited the station in the mid 1980's, they had two Ampex Quads, a VR1200 and a VR2000. For commercial playback they had a TCR-100 which the other two network affiliates also had.

What I don't know is what their first VTR was. Being that the station was in the backwaters of Florida, that VR1200 may have been the first. There are so few records, and the early engineers I believe are long gone. Is there any kind of record of this information outside of our own? Could my station possibly have had a VR1000 or a TRT-1 at some point? I'll probably never know.

Scott Thomas
Art Director
WINK-TV

P.S. The VTRX ad is super cool. Perhaps If I keep some Ampex DCT ads that long, people in the future will think them cool too. :)