[QuadList] Got my VR 1200's

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:41:42 CST 2009

Hi Doug:

I think Park assumed that you would be using both machines.  Since you are
only going to be operating one machine, your air requirement is only about 1
cfm @ 50 psi.  Therefore, anything that can supply at least that volume will
suffice.  The original approach used by both Ampex and RCA for systems not
on "house" air was a compressor that was very slightly oversized and ran
continuously.  Compressors were made by either Gast or B&G and were oilless
designs.

For a tank system with intermittent operation of the compressor, the
variables that come into play (assuming a fixed demand) are the output of
the compressor and the volume of the tank.  I like a 50% or less duty cycle,
meaning that the compressor runs no more than half the time.  To do that,
the compressor must provide 2X the required volume at operating pressure.
The size of the tank then determines the length of the duty cycle.  In other
words, a small tank might provide 1 minute on/1 minute off while a large
tank would provide 5 minutes on/5 minutes off.  Increasing the output of the
compressor will change the ratio of the on/off cycle but the tank size will
still determine the total length of the cycle.

There is a chart on the Gast website which helps determine the proper
combination of all of the above.  Bottom line though is that the tank size
cannot make up for an undersized compressor.  I agree with Park's sentiment
regarding the Gast compressors.  They are expensive though, but with
patience, you can sometimes get them very reasonably on eBay once you know
what models are acceptable.

Also, be absolutely sure your air is clean, as dry as possible and oil-free.
Don't use an air hose from your shop that has been hooked up to a regular
compressor.   Oil is deadly to the air bearings in the head.

Don