[QuadList] Hello from near Darmstadt and Frankfurt--Chasing Bosch Quads--Part 3 of 3-Sunday-w/Photos

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Oct 5 18:22:40 CDT 2009

Television being a global medium... there's a camera you may have
seen pictures from in the US.

Here's Liam with a backpack device he says as used to haul the 1957
Fernseh KOD model camera he's next to
up to a suitable location for covering US President John Kennedy's
visit to Rudolph Wilde Platz in West Berlin,
June 26, 1963, where he gave his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech
during the Cold War.

The camera is equipped with a Taylor Hobson Varotol III zoom lens
with a 4" to 20"  (100mm to 508mm) zoom range.

There are other cameras to see... and a few reel to reel video
recorders, including a Bosch Fernseh labelled
IVC 871 1" PAL unit (*with manual) and a BCN-21 portable BCN format
recorder, a little bigger than the
Ampex-Nagra VPR-5.  More on those two in a later post or page.

And finally, an "Early experimental Baird type receiver that would
reproduce 30 lines of resolution":

Monday and Tuesday, Gert and I are heading to several television or
broadcast related museums, where I hope we'll find some Quads.

We hit the Communication Museum in Frankfurt http://www.gfgf.info/
komm-museum-frankfurt.html  on Monday and will have pictures to follow.

More cameras including East German ones, Ampex VR-2000's, Grundig
(Grun-dich) 1" machines, a unique analog HD machine that Bosch
developed, and Nipkow disk machines and tubes of all sorts. Even
Klystrons (although we didn't get  pix because they're boxed and
crated with just enough of a printed insert showing to say, "Hey,
there's a Klystron in here!")

Spent several hours tonight (Monday) in the Frankfurt home of Karl-
Heitz Kratz, who has quite a collection old German radios from 1923
into the forties.  He also collects old and valuable test equipment
from the late 1800's and early 1900's. As Artie Johnson is forever
saying.... "Verrrry interesting" and very beautifully created devices
of wood and metal.  He also is into tubes ("bulbs" here in Germany) ,
steam engines, and powered toy train engines of Zero gauge and smaller.

We plan to visit this museum late Tuesday: http://www.gfgf.info/
technik-museum-speyer.html" and are hoping the folks in Weisbaden
where the Quads are will have someone around to open the door Tuesday
or Wednesday morning before I head home on United 901 to SFO.

Soooo... wish us luck.