[QuadList] New Member

Peter Ford pford at clear.net.nz
Mon Oct 26 02:49:10 CDT 2009

Hi all

I am a Videotape Engineer restoring vintage format video recordings for the New Zealand Film Archive  (Jim Lindner is the AV Migration consultant to NZFA).

A long time ago I maintained Quad machines at Television New Zealand.  Back then we starting experimenting with off-line editing systems producing paper edit decision lists.  I modified an Ampex AVR1 to search and park on a timecode number entered into the tape timer preset thumbwheels.  After re-cueing when the machine played past the same number the editor was triggered.  This served as the on-line editing system until a CMX340 Computer Editing System was purchased.

Some years ago the Archive acquired a pair of AVR1s...and one of them was the same machine I had modified 30 years previously!!.  I have since restored it and experimented with it

As the AVR1 would never be required to record again, alignment for  interchange seemed unnecessary and I re-adjusted the vacuum columns and air lubricated guide pressures and servos so the machine handles tape with minimal friction but maintains good replay performance.  This was very successful and tapes that had previously rejected as unplayable can now be played usually without baking tapes.

Peter Ford