[QuadList] The demise of Vidipax

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Wed Oct 14 10:36:35 CDT 2009

I tried to bid on some items but we all had problems.

The Internet connection didn't  work until about an hour and a half
after the auction was to start. And it did go down during the auction.

I agree with the problem of grouping lots. I had to worry about
shipping so I didn't want to buy a large group of stuff I  had to pay
someone to pack and ship. Many items might have gotten higher bids if
they were sold in the lots they advertised in the catalogue. For
example, I wanted the 3M dropout compensator but it was placed in a
large group. The funny thing is I bet the purchaser of that lot
probably doesn't even want the DOC!

They grouped all the refurbished video quad heads in a large group for
different machines. I just wanted one for a 1200.

I'm sure the auction proceeds were a disappointment to the owners.
Pennies on the dollar. The auction was rushed. You had to be quick to
even bid on an item.

If I had been in NY, I'm sure I would have bought many items at those
prices. The pack and ship was the deal breaker for me. It's much
better when you can attend in person and carry the stuff out.

My company did an auction when we closed down. Most of the expensive
items were already sold and the company came in to selloff the
remaining items. It was painful to see video items that just a few
years previously were very expensive now going for cheap. There is
nothing the owners can do during an auction. Before it starts you can
place a limit to how low the price can go but once it starts, you just
watch. I did have a total minimum amount guaranteed from the proceeds
so I was covered.

But that happens at an auction. At a Hollywood auction recently, I got
an Axial editor for $30. They sold in the $50k range when new. One
great deal was 25 test charts, brand new, I got for $25. I sold each
one on ebay for $35 each. A good return on investment!

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com