[QuadList] Question about NBC color TZ delay prior to Quad

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 20:36:27 CDT 2009

In a message dated 10/29/2009 6:13:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jjm332 at nyu.edu writes:

> That's interesting--I knew Film Tech could handle Kodacolor lenticular
> film; I didn't know they could also do the kines (and unfortunately I don't
> know enough about the two to know how different the technologies are.) I've
> always wondered what they look like. The NBC 50th Anniversary special in
> the 70s ran a color kinescope clip from the Ernie Kovacs "silent" show.
> Anyone know if that was a lenticular kine?
>
> Jeff

Well, I hope I am right about the Lenticular kines transfers. I will talk
with those guys who dot these transfers directly next week and confirm.

This seems to be a color kine thread. Two clients came by tonight for other
business but one of them brought something he had told be about a few days
ago. It's a film to tape transfer made about four years ago from what is
considered to be the oldest color kine in existence. Apparently done at the
Colonial Theater in NYC in 1954, and talks about the recent FCC approval of RCA
compatible color (has an animated rose converging into a single rose in the
middle of the screen). Then, some sort of circus type set with Eddie Fisher
singing a song, then to a Dinah Shore segment (introduced by a 1954
Chevy!). All in color of course. I believe this color kine print (in remarkable
shape considering color fade) will go to HD soon and be cleaned up further.
But, the quality is so good that one would not have known it was a color kine
had it not have been for some slight strobing and flicker when one of the
cameras did a fast pan. My guess is that this was some sort of RCA promotional
film (color kine).

Watching this stuff just extends the work day but I enjoy it!

David