[QuadList] WRC B/W to Color Quad tape

Kenneth Zin kenzin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 21 22:52:21 CDT 2009

Ted, I do not remember the audio problem with the tape that I received from the LOCK. I have a copy on type "C" one inch some place, I will try to find it.
I do remember that Hugh Downs was remarking about there new vision mixer that could show two camera at the same time on the screen. The tape that I received is the WRC recording and the one that Ed Retain, Don Kent and Dan Einstein did was the one from Ike's library. The WRC tape was played many times before we at Merlin received WRC's tape. So the WRC tape had some tape damage to it. I built a special demod demphasis for the this tape. I later learned that RCA had two Ampex VR1000's with the signal system removed and RCA signal system installed, as the Ampex had a very stable servo and RCA did not. That hey the audio lip-sync is correct on that tape, Ampex had not change the position of the audio with respect to the video, but
RCA was change to be compatible with Ampex, so if you had a old quad tape and the audio was in sync with the video it had to be a Ampex recording, except in this case the year was 1958.
I had to double the delay line in the Ampex VR-2000 and use a variable capacitor from an Amtec along with three pots to get the color bars to look right, I built a module for the Library of Congress to plug in to play this tape and some of the Fred A. and Ginger R. also.
Might be more if I think more about that project.
Regards,
Ken Zin