[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

John Walko jwalko at scenesavers.com
Thu Sep 10 14:50:06 CDT 2009

Ted:

I am so happy to have it working that I don't want to move it.  Heck.I'm
afraid to sneeze around it.

Regarding electric, I spoke w/ the electricians today and they are not going
to cut power to the building for a couple of months.  They promise we'll
have plenty of notice.  The building is a really neat building.it was once a
broadcast station (radio broadcast).  It looks very "cold-war-ish".  It
would be really neat to shoot a Si-Fi movie in this building before they
take out all the old equipment.  If any of you are Termintor fans and if you
saw T-3, where the two main characters end up in the bunker at the end of
the movie.this building looks sort of like that.with old analog gauges, tube
based broadcasting equipment, large (LARGE) control panels and rows and rows
of racks (which, unfortunately are empty now).

I don't know if our plan in the future is to move the machines.  My
challenge is that I don't have room in my facility for them.  As
mentioned.this place isn't ideal, but it is OK.  At least it is relatively
clean and secure (although the air conditioning leaves something to be
desired.but that is one of the things they are fixing).

I can tell you that I've learned a lot.  The engineer who did most of the
work on these is familiar w/ the Ampex machines and worked on AVR-1s and
AVR-3s in the past.  It just took a little research to get familiar with the
TR-600's.  When I look at what it took to operate these machines as compared
to today, today's videotape operators don't know how good they have it.
They just push a tape in and hit go.  I must say I am really enjoying the
learning experience.

John