[QuadList] Dropouts at fixed intervals

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Mon Sep 14 09:15:06 CDT 2009

Hi Bill....
Actually the last RCA machine that used the air post, was the 70A.  With
the 70B and C, they switched to the roller assembly there a la Ampex.
Yes, those holes plug very easily!
The 70A also has an air operated tape lifter for the master erase head
that is activated in shuttle mode to reduce wear on the rather delicate
erase head.
Guy

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv wrote:
> The RCA machines, prior to the 600, had a post on the supply side that
> had a series of holes in it for some low pressure air to bleed out and
> keep the tape from sticking on startup.  They were notorious for getting
> magnetic particles stuck in the holes and making magnetic scratches on
> the tape.  I used to keep an old wire brush to clip bristles from to
> clean out the holes once in awhile.
>
> I still have a pack of 8x8 Texwipes that I used to cut into 4x4 to save
> money.  Had many an old shampoo bottle as well to hold the Freon and
> later alcohol.  Now I use lavage bottles as they look more professional!
> HI
>
> 73,
>
> Bill Spencer, KY4O
> RF Engineering Supervisor