[QuadList] VR-1200B's on eBay

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 21:56:55 CDT 2009

I could not find the units on e-bay.  Perhaps someone can post a  link.

There were after market DG and Auto Chroma modules.  The Manufacture  slips
the rusted open Iron Trap that is my brain.  They could not use the  term
Auto Chroma as that is a copyrighted term.  Also this one did have an
advantage in that it did the auto equalization on a line by line sample where as
the Ampex one that was standard did it on a 16 line sample that was for the
whole head pass.  This would cause a problem with different amounts of
chroma if the head was not concentric.  RCA was the first to do it the  correct
way in the CAVEC module.  It was easier to do it because they used  the
addressing for the memories in both chroma and velocity error  correction.
Ampex did not have the units combined and as a result they did  the auto chroma
on a band by band sample.

Chris Hill