[QuadList] VR-1200B's on eBay

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 22:32:40 CDT 2009

There are a couple of issues with this machine.  It is an early B  model
There cue track is missing one of the cards.  The 3M DOC is not  the last
version manufactured.  It is missing the test module that allowed  you to set
it up with out a special tape.

The Intersync looks like a version before the last ones made.  The  meter
panel is missing the H Phase and Tach Phase positions.  There are two
modules that are out of another machine.  This could be a potential problem  if
there were different versions of the modules in the two versions of the
Intersync.  I would have to pull out some manuals.

It does have VHO so that is good.  The DG module should be an Ampex  one as
that was a requirement for VHO.  Almost 6000 hours but still looks  in
decent shape.  I would be interested to see how the tape path surfaces  are
worn.  The pinch roller really needs replacement.  It has so much  shine.  My
guess is that this machine was made about 1970 or 71.   Later additions were
the VHO, DG, and the auto EQ.  Any guesses by  others?

Interesting that the On Off knob for the Vel Comp and the centering knob
for the AMTEC are removed.  I also noticed that the record sync selector  was
in EXTERNAL.  Also the playback was in PRESET on the control  panel.  Very
non standard.

South Carolina ETV always had good performance and that may be why the
machine still looks so good.  Most look like they have been run to the  ground.
 This one does not.

Chris Hill