[QuadList] 50th Anniversary of the First Weather Satellite

Tim Stoffel tim at lionlamb.us
Sat Apr 3 04:22:51 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 03:41 -0400, Scott Thomas wrote:
> Vidicon tubes. I almost asked that in my post, but I figured that the
> satellite would have something a little more esoteric. :)

With just 19 watts of power available, either the tubes were powered
down while not in use, or they were indeed exotic vidicons. A lot of
power was saved by not needing high speed sweep circuits for the tubes.
In fact, I wonder if those weren't electrostatically deflected. Higher
voltages, but less overall power.

Tim Stoffel