[QuadList] How to Edit--resending Park's attachment--didn't come through on my end.

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sun Apr 11 09:41:52 CDT 2010

Tony,

I had seen this film in the past and surmised that the production was
shot on 16mm (?) as portable video gear was difficult to obtain
(usually) at that time. When the station I originally worked for while
in college (KERA TV in Dallas) introduced the Monty Python series to
the American audience in 1974-75, I was surprised that all of the
location material in and around the UK was film, as this was the
beginning of the "electronic news gathering" (ENG) era. But the film
transfers looked superior to anything I had seen in the states. Later
I surmised it was both the 625 PAL system with no 3:2 pull down issues
coupled with Rank Flying Spot Scanners, something which was in limited
use here. Compared to the 3V and 4V film chains here in the states,
the color and clarity was superior. So, may I conclude that the UK
production people stayed with film acquisition longer than in the
states for these reasons?

David Crosthwait
www.dcvideo.com