[QuadList] Mains frequencies==(was Quad - progressive or interlaced?)

georgenann at aol.com georgenann at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 11:25:59 CDT 2010

Good point,
While stationed in Germany we all had to have "Power Transformers" which stepped the 220 down to 110, but still at 50hz.  They worked, but ran quite hot as did everything we ran from them, but everything still ran OK. I had a clock radio withh a 50hz clock in it. It would wake us up to that horrible AFN station in Bremerhaven with it's back-woods nasel announcer. Could have used Park there.

The aircraft folks have a good idea with 400hz, smaller xfmrs, etc.  Also back in the old days us hams, cops, etc used "Dynamoters" to generate the HV needed to run the tubes (Fire Bottles) in the mobile radios.  They were neat, usually mounted in the trunk, when you hit the PTT they would come up to speed quickly with an impressive whine.